Men's Basketball

Second Half Surge by Marist Leads to Victory over Men’s Basketball on Saturday Night

Photo credit: Marist Athletics
Photo credit: Marist Athletics

POUGHKEEPSIE, NY – The Saint Peter's men's basketball team was outscored by Marist College in the second half, leading to a 69-51, defeat to the Metro Atlantic Athletic Conference (MAAC) foe on Saturday night.


Samuel Idowu (Brooklyn, NY/Lafayette Educational Complex) led Saint Peter's (10-17, 4-12 MAAC) with a team-high 15 points. Nick Griffin (Rockville, MD/George Washington/Col. Zadok Magruder) followed with 10 points and six rebounds, while Quinn Taylor (Amarillo, TX/Tascosa) scored eight points and grabbed a team-best seven rebounds.


Marist (6-22, 4-12 MAAC) was led by Ryan Funk's career-high of 24 points, after connecting on six 3-pointers. David Knudsen added 12 points and Tobias Sjoberg tallied 10 points.


Saint Peter's fell behind Marist, 3-2, but the Peacocks reeled off eight straight points, powered by two 3-pointers from Griffin, putting Saint Peter's up, 10-3. Marist cut the lead to four, but Cameron Jones' (Fairless Hills, PA/Pennsbury) knocked in a 3-pointer, pushing the lead back up to seven (15-8). The Peacocks kept a two-possession lead over Marist with under eight minutes to play when, Marist got to within two points, trailing Saint Peter's 23-21, but the Peacocks responded with a 7-0 run with baskets from Idowu, Mamadou Ndiaye (Laurel, MD/Oakland Mills), and Taylor, extending the Peacock lead to 30-21 by the final media break of the half. By the half, the peacocks held a 30-24 advantage over Marist.


The difference in the night came in the second half where Marist outscored the Peacocks, 45-21. After going up by eight early in the half, with a 34-26 lead, Marist went on a 14-5 run, taking a lead of 40-39 over the Peacocks, Marist's first lead since 3-2. Saint Peter's quickly responded with a layup by Taylor that gave the Peacocks their last lead of the night at, 41-40. Marist responded by scoring five straight to regain the lead again at 45-41 forcing a Saint Peter's timeout. The score eventually got to 51-47, with the Peacocks trailing, when Marist went on a 10-0 rally, putting the Red Foxes ahead, 61-47, and holding the Peacocks scoreless for 3:35 before Taylor hit two free throws to end the drought, as the Peacocks trailed 61-49. Saint Peter's went field goal-less for almost five minutes, during that stretch before Taylor ended that drought with a layup to cut the game to 61-51, with 1:50 left. The Peacocks could not connect on another basket, falling 69-51. Saint Peter's second half woes, led to .276 shooting from the field (8-29) and .071 shooting from behind the 3-point line (1-14), compared to Marist who shot over 50 percent from the field and from the 3-point line, connecting on seven trifectas in the half.


The Peacocks will close out the regular season road slate on Friday, February 23, at Quinnipiac. Tip-off is scheduled for 7 p.m.